Sunday, November 2, 2008

Health

In honor of the holiday that takes place 3 weeks from Thursday, I have decided to dedicate my blog for the month to things that I am thankful for. I find this to be a far more appropriate recognition of the holiday than the usual gorging yourself until you are in pain and then passing out in front of the TV.

Throughout my life, I have been blessed with above average health. Sure, I have had the customary scrapes and colds along the way that befit a full life, but never anything major. I have not spent one night as a patient in the hospital since I was born. I have had my fair share of visits to the emergency room, but those were all self-induced (I'm not always one to think things out before I do them).

I have a sister with a fairly severe health disorder. She is an inspiration to me because she has taught me to never take things for granted. Simple things that most of us have never thought twice about, like going for a jog, she has never been able to do.

While I was on my run today, I was looking at the beautiful trees that surround the lake path in Winona and thinking how good it was to be alive. In a world fraught with cancer, heart attack, car accidents, and countless other ways to be stripped of health, it's important to take a minute and be grateful for what God has granted you.

No comments: