Monday, November 3, 2008

Interview Questions

As anyone who regularly reads my blog is aware, I have a dental interview 3 weeks from today. I have been preparing by going through review questions with anyone that will help. There are two questions that always trip me up, however, so I thought this would be a good way to get my answers out.

#1....Why do you want to be a dentist?
I know the positive impact that a good dentist can have on someone's perspective of doctor's visits. When I was a little girl, my dentist was always my uncle. Because of this, I was never afraid to go get my teeth cleaned because I knew that he wasn't going to hurt me. Even though he is no longer my primary care giver, I still feel the impact of those young years when he was and look forward to the ability to help other young children.

#2...Why should we choose you over someone else with comparable scores?
I know that I will be a positive part of the community here at SIU. I have shown through my dedication these past 3 and a half years that I am committed to learning and particularly the practice of dentistry. I would be a valuable ambassador for your school after graduation when I enter the work force.

Let me know what you think :)

2 comments:

Margaret said...

I think you should rephrase the part about Uncle Marty. I think it weakens your statements. You could just say you had a doctor with whom you were very comfortable.

Houdini said...

Weighing in on "Why do you want to be a dentist." How does something like this sound:

There are two main reasons: First, I know firsthand the positive impact on personal health and happiness a dentist can have. I have suffered [insert grave dental issue(s) here, teeth growing out of my forehead, etc] personally, and have been fortunate enough to receive excellent dental care.

Second, I know that this positive impact can reach beyond the personal level and extend to the community as well. [insert inspiring example of a dentist you know and the amazing difference(s) he/she made on the local community]

Maybe close out with something like: I have known from an early age, and have grown only more committed to knowing that I can and will enhance persoanl and public health through the practice of dentistry...

Of course Bella, I could be full of it if this isn't the way that you think/speak at all...