Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Eyes of the Kuvasz

Every Monday and Wednesday, I walk to campus with Anne. I enjoy this ritual because we get a few minutes together and also because I get to visit the girlies. This morning, Coorah was sitting on Anne's bed with her ears back (excited that Auntie Biscuit was there) and I commented on how striking her eyes were when her ears are back. Anne giggled and said something about the eyes of the kuvasz, which got me thinking. Below is the result of my musings.



The Eyes of the Kuvasz

The eyes of the kuvasz are dark,
dark like the bitterest chocolate.
They shine when they catch the light
and when Mom comes home.

The eyes of the kuvasz are round
Dime-sized orbs on her speckled face.
Small as they are, they seem to grow
when her ears retreat in joy.

The eyes of the kuvasz are expressive,
windows to her gentle soul.
They dance when she is happy
and they get wide when someone is blue.

The eyes of the kuvasz are beautiful,
a focal point of her striking body.

No comments: