Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Lost In Translation

The title reflects how I am feeling right now. I am not referring to that incredibly crappy Bill Murray movie...why doesn't he just stick to comedy?

I am currently in the home stretch of my senior year and while not technically feeling lost, I do feel as though somehow, it's not what people promised it would be. Instead of non-stop fun and breezing through class, I find myself bogged down with the politics of my department and meaningless, trivial tasks that have no bearing on my future. For instance, I have a freshman level biology class (don't even get me started) in which the majority of my time is spent drawing pictures and coloring in my notebook. I guess it will improve my manual dexterity.

Most frustrating to me is the fact that my advisor, my favorite professor on campus, is no longer here. Due to the infinite hypocrisy of the biology department, he chose to leave Winona State after the head of our department came down on the side of a student in a dispute he was having with my advisor. This man is one of the first microbiology PhD's in the country, did his post-doc work at the Pasteur Institute in Paris, and has been at Winona State for 17 years. It makes me sick to think that he is gone because of the sniveling student no one likes anyway.

I am also frustrated by my histology class, something that I enjoyed at the beginning of the semester. The teacher has proven to be spineless, allowing an idiotic, albeit pretty girl to wrap him around her middle finger. It is clear to everyone else that she has no business in the class and I'm not sure she can walk and chew gum at the same time, but she seems to squeak by anyway, on her giggles and smiles. God help the Biology department next year.

The bright spot of this whole mess is the fact that I am having a good time socially and that I graduate in 39 days.

I just wish going to classes didn't feel like doing time...

No comments: