
Being a biology major in my second collegiate genetic course, I am very familiar with the units of heredity, those mighty genes. After having learned all about disorders, patterns of inheritance, and imprinting, it is easy to lose track of the layman's definition of the gene. It has come back to me with screeching reality this past week in both my personal and academic life.
Yesterday, I received my official GRE scores in the mail. Having never considered myself much of a writer, I would have been happy to have received a 3 of out 6 on the writing section. To my shock and delight, however, I managed to eke myself a 5. Being the only non-liberal arts major in my family, I guess I did manage to pick up at least some of those language skills...
I also got another flash of my inherited gifts in physics class. As far as the sciences go, this class is definitely not my forte. Generally, the only reason I get through is because my boyfriend is a math and applied science whiz who basically drags me through the material. This topic is different however; it makes sense to me all on my own. And I suppose this makes sense if you consider my paternal lineage: my paternal grandfather and 3 of my dad's 5 brothers all work closely with electricity and the unit that I find interesting is circuits. You never know what's coming around the corner I guess.
And if anyone had any doubt about the strength of the Eaton genes, take a gander above at the picture picture of my dad and two of his brothers. And no....they aren't triplets.

No comments:
Post a Comment