Friday, February 27, 2009

A Busy Week

This past school week was the busiest of my slow semester. I had two tests and I was also setting up my independent research. I know that I aced my Histology test and I feel very confident about my CPR exam, which would earn me the Red Cross certification that I need.

It was also a busy week for me personally. My best friend Beth came to town last Friday and the weekend was filled with enjoyment and ease. I had forgotten how incredibly easy she is to be around how it hit home how much I will miss her when she goes to Taiwan for a year in June. I am, however, confident that we will be able to spend some time together after college commences and we are both Northern Illinoians again.

This week was also very hard on me. One of my closest friends in Winona had an incredibly rough week, which had me contemplating how lucky I am and wondering if I would be able to weather an emotional onslaught the likes of which she had. Her boyfriend of 18 months was deployed on active duty as of Monday. He is currently being trained in Texas, but will depart for Afghanistan for a year in May. Although she knew this was coming, she was still a wreck. I suppose there is no way to fully prepare yourself for what essentially feels like having half of your person ripped off. To make matters worse, she got rejected from her last vet school she hadn't heard from yet...on the same day her boyfriend left. We went to dinner last night and I was amazed at how strong she is and how well she is bearing it all. She has even started job searching, something I thought would take much longer since it was something she so wanted to avoid.

I am heading home today for what will be my final Spring break as an undergraduate student. I have mixed emotions about this. Although I am thrilled to be so close to graduating and also to travel to our nation's capital to see my brother and sister-in-law, I am also saddened by the realization that as of May 9th, I am officially a grown-up...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Time to move out of the nursery Peter Pan! No, Elizabeth age is a state of mind. Be young and have fun, the future will come soon enough.