I cannot remember the origin, but I once read a phrase about how through tragedy, one can find unexpected blessings. This hit home for me last week when my beloved grandmother, who had braved cancer for two and a half years, passed. Although it was tragic, it was also a blessing because her being as sick as she was had created strain on everyone, but mostly it was a blessing for her, as she was suffering so deeply, both physically and emotionally, after my grandfather passed.
I also found a blessing in Eric. Although he had only met Grandma once, Eric dropped two days of work and drove to Illinois for South Dakota with me. That in itself was a blessing, as I hate driving. He also held my hand through the funeral, which was much appreciated since I don't handle emotions well, particularly my own.
Each time I go home, I feel more and more blessed with my large and supportive family and this trip was no exception. There was also someone to talk to, a hand to hold, a shoulder to lean on. On our way back to Winona, Eric pointed out what a neat family I have and I stepped back and realized how true that is.
One final blessing came during the sermon that Monsignor Sweeney gave. Towards the end of her life, my grandmother was incredibly cantankerous, lashing out at those closest to her. During his eulogy, Monsignor picked up the memorial card and remarked that the smiling face on the front of it was how we should remember Grandma. That made me feel much better about the difficult preceding months.
R.I.P. Grandma
Monday, January 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Well said!
Post a Comment